Monday, September 14, 2009

Birthdays

Saturday was Rayana's 8th birthday. It was a wonderful day...filled with simplicity and fun. She told me over and over that it was the best birthday ever. That makes my day. Life is so full at the moment, it was hard to take time to really celebrate with her, so I was very relieved that she felt special! We started with chocolate chip pancakes....her favorite food EVER...then went to Josiah's first soccer game, followed by Rayana's with cookies and drinks for her team. They all sang to her and she loved it. Then it was home to change out of soccer clothes and out to Moctezuma's with Masako. She loved every minute of that, but especially the big sombrero and the loud singing by the waiters. Then we came home and cut off her hair. She had a good foot cut off and donated and now is sporting a very adorable, and much easier to care for, hairdo! We both love it, but Randy really misses her long hair I think. Then off to church, which was just what she wanted to do for her birthday. Then we finished with Blizzards at Dairy Queen with Uncle Bill, Nathan, and Masako. It really was a great birthday. Finally, she snuggled into a new bedding with new hot pink sheets, a new pillow and a new comforter. I can see why she enjoyed the day.

Our schedule is not easing up at all, but we are starting to fall into sync a little. Josiah and I are getting the hang of his school work, and Noelle is getting the hang of hers. Rayana is enjoying public school for now. But wants to reevaluate around Christmas. I think that is a great option. I sure would love to have them all at home, but I am also aware of how much work that might make for me. But on the other hand, there would be a lot of extra time as well. Time spent making lunches (more than once a day), time in the car, waiting in parking lots, at recess, in between classes, that we could squish all together and just get it done. It sure is tempting.

And I'm still working on my schedule. Months ago, I ordered a book from www.titus2.com. It is called Manager of their Chores. I loved it and have implimented their chore system in our own home, though I am not as disciplined with it as I really should be. I am finding that the big reason the kids chores don't get done is not their unwillingness as much as it is our lack of a good schedule. Well thankfully, the wonderful family at www.titus2.com also wrote a book on scheduling called Manager of their Homes. So I ordered it as well. They were both a little expensive, but I strongly believe that they represent a bood biblical model of what God wants for our home, and they have encouraged me to tackle character training in our children, which is something that had basically been overlooked. So I am almost finished reading the book now and am working on listing everything that I need to get done in a day so that I can see if it will fit. It is very interesting to think of very moment of my day scheduled like that, but I can really see how unproductive I am and how a schedule could really allow me to devote my time to my priorities.....my family. I am anxious to see where this will lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment